My Alaskan Pal

My Alaskan Pal
May this Blog give YOU a leg up

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sabrena's Journey


“Where did you get that shirt Goodwill?” I demanded of the girl standing before me. (Now don’t judge me- if SHE knew my story SHE wouldn’t judge me, either.)



10 DAYS EARLIER


The cool fall breeze whisked through the open window at Sal’s Elementary. “Now take your mirror... that includes you Sabrena,” Miss.C smiled at me and I beamed back. It had been our joke ever since the beginning of the year when she saw me daydreaming. I picked up my mirror to see a skinny ten-year-old girl with long curly blond hair and hazel eyes staring back at me. “Now class, remember when I turn off the lights look at your eyes getting bigger,” Miss.C lectured, through I wasn’t listening. All I could think about was the tall solid girl who just entered the room. She caught my eyes and grinned at me, but I didn’t grin back. SARA WAS AT SCHOOL!!!
“Ding, Ding, Ding.”  The recess bell rang one, two, three times. I tried to stall for time by asking Miss.C what the homework was but Sara came up behind me and said in a sweet voice, “Let’s go little.... bud” I could hear the harsh part of it. I had no choice but to turn on my heels and walk away from my only friend- Mrs. C.
A blast of cold air hit me as I walked into the autumn colored courtyard. Sara grabbed me by the neck and steered me to the regular spot.
I focused on the old kite stuck in the tree. It was tattered and torn like the wind had caught it and pounded it day after day. The leaves wrapped around it pulling it closer and closer to the sharpest part of the tree. “Did ya bring me the cookie?” Sara asked snapping me back to reality. “N-N-No,” I answered. “You didn’t” she smiled her evil smile. “Then you know the deal, you can pay me with money or you will pay the hard way. I reached into my pocket pulling out a dollar bill and eight dimes. “Oh, good. I was starting to think you would have to pay the hard way and that’s too much of a work out for me!” She smiled coldly, “But not for my dad.” She whispered to herself. All of a sudden three more tall girls entered the hangout spot behind the shed. “ ‘Bout time,” Sara fumed. They flinched like her words were penetrating them. She whirled around to me. “You get started, we have a lot tonight.” With that, she tossed me a pile of homework for me to get done for her.
         “Clunk, clunk, clunk” went my tennis ball as I tossed it up then let it fall down into my hand. Just then my mom entered my room. “I need to talk to you sweetie,” she said in a voice I could barely hear. “Well...” she paused “we’re going to move,” I answered in unison with her. I tried to act sad like I was going to miss all my “friends,” but I could hardly control my excitement- NO MORE SARA SIMS!!! “I want to move as soon as possible.” “Okay” I sighed trying to not show that I was ecstatic. We had only lived here (in our tiny house) for half a year, so I had almost nothing to pack. We were on our way. Ever since my dad moved out, we had been jumping from house to house, but this time my mom said we would stay for good. The car ride to our new house went by quickly because of all the thoughts in my head trying to surface at once but they had to take turns during the ride.
         “Wake up it’s your big day.” My mom’s words hit me like Sara’s fists. One half hour later I was down our front steps and walking to school. Little did everyone know, I had a plan.
         It’s recess and the last subject of the day. Now all I have to do is pick my target. I scan my surroundings, perfect…. a girl my height, all alone, smiling and walking right…. IN MY DIRECTION! For a second I panicked. I was never good at making friends. How would I introduce myself? I stopped dead, that was the old me. The new me was the newbie who came to school wearing a bright pink v-cut shirt with short shorts and highlighter high tops with lime green ties in her hair. “Hi, I’m Kate” she said in the cheeriest voice I have ever heard. “I’m Sabrena.” I whispered roughly. “Sabeni?” Kate questioned. “Sabrena” I yelled as I pushed her over. “Where did ya get that shirt, good will?” I asked then stalked off. As soon as I said it, I wanted to help her up. She looked like the old me- jeans, plan t-shirt, and a wild look in her eye that told me I could have a run for my money with my ghost stories and jokes. Just then, the look in her eyes was replaced with pure fear like a stray dog going from door to door looking for acceptance. “Get out of my way.” I screamed and stormed by her.
         The rest of recess went by in a blur. I watched Kate sit there in the same position I left her in- sprawled on the grass.
         As I navigated the halls to the music room, I deep down knew I wouldn’t be able to do this every recess. We are going to learn a fun little song today- its called walk a mile. Now, you all know this song, so hear we go-
         “You got to walk  (clap clap) a mile in your gotta walk a mile in your shoes- gonna know what your thinking what doing what you are saying- gonna walk (clap clap) a mile in your shoes.”
         “Ding, Dong” lunch! The song we sang for the first time made sense. I was going to walk a mile in Kate’s shoes. With new courage, I walked up to Kate. “Hey Kate” I whispered, “Come here.” I lead her into a small hallway that was empty. “I I I’m so sorry.” A-At my old school I got bullied every day. I was s-sick of it so I took it out on you,” my voice cracked. At each of the words she flinched like I was going to shove her again. And then came the crying, huge aching sobs that made me rock hugging my knees. I felt small. Small to the world, yet I could impact so many other people’s lives like Sara’s dad…. bullying her, then she bullying me, then me bullying Kate. But maybe if I passed on friendship, it will have the same chain reaction. All of a sudden, arms wrapped around me. “It’s okay,” Kate’s voice said. I stopped crying, stood up and stuck out my hand like a three year old and hopefully said, “Friend?” In more of a question than confirming, “friends” Kate said in the most business like voice I have ever heard. And with that, me and my new friend walked down the halls of my new school to my new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment